A lot of Home base workers and digital nomads have probably at one time or another done data mining.
Here are some tips that I can share to everyone to make it faster and easier with out going the robotic data mining way.
1. Use google search effectively – think of the best terms you can use to search for the information you need. Also keep track of the keywords you use for search. Sometimes omitting a word from the previous search increases its effectiveness and drastically changes the results.
2. Once you found what your looking for( in most cases its contact details ), search for the social media accounts of what you are looking for ( most researchers will understand what I mean) From my experience – there are a lot more information available in the social media accounts that the official website.
3. Use an aggregator application to capture information. There are a lot of applications and programs that you can use to help you catch all the information you need. The challenge is 2 pronged. How do you know how to catch the information. ( by that I mean what keywords you use ) and how to do it in the application. My suggestion is ask for help. That’s what I did when I started using Hootsuite .
4. Keep track of everything in an excel file – dont trust your memory – keep everything documented.
5. Dont limit yourself to Facebook and Twitter. There are other social media sources available – Linked In. Pinterest and more.